Do you have an American Express card and an interest in checking out Skrillex in a venue as small as The Independent? Skrillex just announced 6 shows in San Francisco and American Express Card Members can purchase tickets on 12/02 11am until12/05 7pm before the general public, but hurry – supply is limited!
Mon, Feb 3rd, 2014 – The Independent, SF
Tue, Feb 4th, 2014 – Regency Ballroom, SF
Wed, Feb 5th, 2014 – Mezzanine, SF
Thu, Feb 6th, 2014 – The Warfield, SF
Fri, Feb 7th, 2014 – Fox Theatre, OAK
Sat, Feb 8th, 2014 – Bill Graham Civic, SF
It isn’t often that you get a chance to see an artist that has headlined music festivals at a room as small as The Independent in San Francisco, but The Regency Ballroom and Mezzanine are also great choices if you can’t grab those tickets (plus it is on a Monday)
Interesting Skrillex Facts
- “Skrillex” was born on January 15th, 1988 and his real name is Sonny John Moore, but ‘Skrillex’ was a nickname that he had for a while. “(It) really means nothing. Throughout my teen years my friends would call me ‘Skrillex’ or ‘Skril’ or ‘Skrilly’.”
- His first albums were Marilyn Manson’s ‘Antichrist Superstar’ and Nine Inch Nails ‘’Broken’ EP.
- He cites that his big musical turning point was when discovering Warp records when he was 12 years old. “I discovered Aphex Twin (and) became obsessed with glitch, acid house, IDM, Autechre, Squarepusher,” he says.
- When he was 16 year of age, Skrillex contacted Matt Good of From First To Last about playing guitar for them and ended up becoming their lead vocalist.
- He once got punked by Deadmau5 at the Grammys, when the mouse-masked DJ wore a T-shirt with Skrillex’s personal cell number on it. There was also a caption which read ‘u mad bro?’”
- He signed with Epitaph and From First To Last released two albums.
- He played on the Warped Tour bill as well as opening for Fall Out Boy.
- Skrillex quit the band From after suffering from ‘vocal chord problems’. He later said: “Singing’s not my real passion.”
- He sold his demos at shows all packaged in blue envelopes featuring unique drawings he made.
- “Skrillex” wasn’t his first moniker, previously he was known as “Twipz” (not “Twerpz”).
- His first official EP was called ‘My Name Is Skrillex’
- He described ‘Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites’ as “’Transformers’ meets Final Fantasy’”. His own favorite films include Children Of Men and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
- When Facebook Announced their “most played” songs on their site in 2011, two of his tracks were in the Top 10.
- His ‘do’ is so famous that there’s a fake Skrillex hair Twitter. @Skrilleyshair Tweets stuff like: “Ahhh I love NYC. It makes me greasy in a very good way.”
- The band Electric Valentine have even written a song ‘Girl, You Got Skrillex Hair’ about it.
- His biggest hit is ‘Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites’ has had over 60 million views on Youtube.
- But it isn’t just his hair that’s popular. His ‘unique look’ has been noted on-line, not least of all the Tumblr ‘Lesbians Who Look Like Skrillex’.
- He is BFF’s actor and 30 Seconds To Mars lead, Jared Leto.
- Skrillex has been part of many celebrity death hoaxes. One of the most famous ones involved a freak yachting accident in Bermuda. ‘RIPskrillex’ , which became a popular Twitter hash tag for a while.
- He has also collaborated with the surviving members of The Doors on the track ‘Breakin’ A Sweat’.
- He produced some tracks on Korn’s ‘Path Of Totality’ album after admitting he’d been a fan of them “since I was 9.” He also had Korn Join him on Stage at Coachells. He met Jonathan Davies when he was in From First To Last and did an ‘artist to artist’ interview for Revolver magazine.
- Kanye West once Tweeted: “TONIGHT I’m definitely playing Skrillex.” Kanye claimed that his remix of Benny Benassi’s ‘Cinema’ was “one of the greatest works of art ever made.”